DO NOT DROP THE BALLS
I ran into a summary of a speech given by the Google CEO, Sundar Pichai, it was from a 60 second speech, he said: ‘Imagine life is a game of 5 balls that you manipulate in the air trying not to fall these balls. One of them is rubber, and the rest is glass. The five balls are Work, Family, Health, Friends, and Soul, it will not be long before you realise that work is a rubber ball. Whenever you fall, you will jump again, while the other balls are made of glass. If one of them falls, it will not return to its previous form.’
The above speech Inspired me, and I thought I should share a bit more on the same. I am hoping to also Inspire you as well with the thought of this man. The statement supports scriptures on what matters most in life. This is from a successful person in his career and chosen field yet his position on other balls impresses me very much.
The Bible tells us about the importance of the soul above all other things in life, ‘for what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? What shall a man give in exchange for his soul?’ (Matt. 16 v 26). The thought of the ‘Faith ball’ dropping when we are juggling many balls in life is very frightening because our Lord Jesus inferred that nothing is to be compared to that ball of all balls we are juggling in our daily lives.
It is not news that there are many important things in our lives, these things define our values in life, they also influence our moods and emotions. Our times of happiness and sadness are determined by how well we are doing with these balls. We juggle these balls daily and are willing to drop some of those balls for others, the 5 balls mentioned by the Google CEO are truly and fairly the most important balls in the lives of the average person today. Family, Faith, Health, Friends, and Work.
I preached a sermon years ago on these balls and called them 5 Fs of important values in life, I find these 5 Fs very germane to fulfilment. However, the test will be to list the balls in order of preference by each person, I will attempt to do my list here but will be glad if you can send me your own in order of importance after reading through mine.
MY 5 BALLS IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE
- FAITH: my soul is more important than money. The soul is a ball I cannot afford to drop, our Lord Jesus says, it’s the most important ball in life. Nothing should even come near this ball, and we should manage the ball very well.
- FAMILY: Next to the ball of the soul for me is my family. I’ve observed with sadness that many younger believers have embraced some western ideas of relegating marriage institutions, which is why divorce is on the rise today. The family still matters, and I believe should be next to Faith or managing your souls.
- FINE or HEALTH: This is the next ball we must not drop under any circumstances. Money without health is useless, I’ve become more conscious of my health, diet, fitness, and other things related to my health. We should take this ball seriously and not drop it or else we shall find ourselves 6ft deep earlier than desired in life.
- FINANCE or WORK: This is the career ball that many people have placed above Faith and Family in today’s world. I know this is the ball that drives money into our hands and pockets, we have placed this ball higher than others because of what it gives us. This ball should not be in the top 3 at all but deservedly in the fourth spot. I will not want to drop this ball either but certainly will not mind dropping this ball to keep my Faith intact like Joseph lost his job in Potiphar’s house to keep his faith.
- FRIENDS: The last ball in my order is not the least in my opinion but just not as important as other balls. We should keep this ball as well and not drop the ball.
Kindly send me a mail with your list of balls in the order of importance. I’ll love to read from you.
Blessings and shalom.